Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Preachers and funerals

I found this at Mike Jeshurun's blog, I thought it was so rare, and so needed in our day...


John Jasper was a prominent slave and Baptist preacher in Richmond, Virginia in the mid-1800s. He preached at many funerals. He said at one funeral: “Let me say a word about this [Name Withheld]. I say it first and get it off my mind. [Name Withheld] was no good man – he didn’t say he was. He didn’t try to be good, and they tell me he died as he lived, without God and without hope in the world. It’s a bad tale to tell on him, but he fixed the story himself. As the tree falls, there must it lay. If you want folks who live wrong to be preached and sung to glory, don’t bring them to Jasper.”

Continue here....

No comments: