Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Friday, June 30, 2017

By the grace of God I am what I am

"Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful--but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life!" Revelation 21:27
If we do not exactly know the particulars of what Heaven is--then we know to a certainty what it isnot. We are sure that it is not like earth--there are no ale-houses, gambling parlors, or theaters there.

How then could those whose hearts are set upon these things--possibly be happy even in Heaven, where they would be separated forever from all that they love? Heaven must be a Hell to an unhumbled, unsanctified sinner--even if he could be admitted there. The company, the employments, the enjoyments--are of the same kind with what he despised on earth. If you admit a pig into your parlor among your friends--he would find no pleasure there. He would rather be in the sty, or wallowing in the mire in a ditch!

Well, such were some of us--yes, such were all of us once! And you, my dear friends, though you were not vile profligates like me--you were carelessly swimming down the stream of the world, and, when upon the edge of the whirlpool which would have eternally swallowed you up--He snatched you with a strong hand, set your feet upon a rock, established your goings, and has put a new song in your mouth!
"By the grace of God I am what I am!" 1 Corinthians 15:10

2 comments:

Darrel said...

"...and when upon the edge of the whirlpool which would have eternally swallowed you up--He snatched you with a strong hand..."

The Lord chose to save me from myself and my sin in a "church" that later showed it's true colors, that of blaspheme and heresy. It's almost as if He would have said to His enemy "No, you can't have this one, he's Mine." I remember the thought in my head as walked through the doors of this 'church' (the first time I had done so in over 25 years) "I'm going to see how God changed." The most distant thing from my mind was salvation, especially on God's terms. I fancied myself to be "saved" because I had followed the prescribed formula decades ago and even had the gall to tell God that He had to take to heaven when I died because of my 'decision' and this no matter how far into sin I would sink. Thank God He had other plans in mind as He did indeed snatch me eternal death---my consent or cooperation in the matter was not required. Thank you, Lord for saving me for Yourself.

lyn said...

There are many who have a similar testimony brother. May God free His elect from the clutches of 'free will'. He is faithful, He will do all for the sake of His holy name.