Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Hated without cause

Here is an excerpt from a sermon by Ken Wimer.... 

It is a snare to those that are blind and simply read the Scriptures dutifully like many do in so-called Christian circles. They read it and they try to get some moral out of it. They try to find some practical experience, some example and you stop and think about those things, those are natural minded things. I read books regularly. In fact, I'm on a schedule this year and I'm behind but I set a goal to read one book a week. Now, I need to catch up about 3 books so I'm looking for one that's about 10 pages long just to be able to say I read a book. But why do I do that? Well, it stimulates the mind, it's in an area that I want some personal growth in my business professionally or whatever and that's a natural mind. That is what the world does when they take this book, the Bible, and read it but like Paul said of the Jews that the Scriptures were read every Sabbath in the synagogue but there was a veil over their hearts and that veil, it says, is only lifted in the Lord Jesus Christ by his Spirit. 
So the Lord has purposely written this book to be a snare to those that approach it religiously even in a "devotional" way dutifully like you'll hear many people, preachers at the beginning of the year saying, "Our goal this year is to read through the Bible in a year." I don't know if you've ever tried to read through the Scriptures in a year but that's a pretty fast pace and, I will tell you, it makes a bunch of hypocrites out of people because whenever they put it in front of the congregation and they get people signing up and saying they are reading the chapters, people make light of it. They will go through it, speed read, and they'll kind of laugh and say, "Well, I'm glad this time we had chapters that had nothing to do with names. I just skimmed down through there but I got it done." There are people that that's the way they read the Scriptures. They read it from an historic standpoint. How many times have you heard lessons about David and persecution and suffering and opposition and it makes good stories just like this Psalm, a cry to God for help, and certainly it is ascribed to David there in the subheading, "A Psalm of David," but he was the instrument for writing it. He is not the author. The Spirit is the author and always keep in mind what the Lord said, When the Spirit shall come, after his death," he said to his disciples, "he'll not speak of himself but he'll take the things pertaining to me and reveal them unto you."

This is, I know it says, "Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise," but this is not a worship prayer in that sense. It's a prayer, what writers call an imprecatory prayer, one that is prayed against the enemies. So when I read verses 1 through 5, I have to consider that I'm the guilty one. When it says there in verse 2, "For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me," how many times when someone reads this they think of somebody else? Because I've told you before the Spirit of God never convicts someone of somebody else's sin so when we read this word and your mind is thinking about somebody else, "Oh, I wish they were here," that's the flesh. The Spirit working in the heart of one of the Lord's own brings us, like Isaiah, to cry, "Woe is me! I am undone!" That's not just a one time thing. This is continually. You see, the work of the Spirit is to do this every time we open this word: it's to strip us of ourselves and to exalt the Lord Jesus Christ. 

read this entire sermon by Ken Wimer at http://media.sermonaudio.com/mediapdf/329152024503.pdf  or listen at http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=329152024503

No comments: