Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Anvil of God's Word



Last eve I passed beside a blacksmith's door 
And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime: 
Then looking in, I saw upon the floor 
Old hammers, worn with beating years of time.

"How many anvils have you had," said I, 
"To wear and batter all these hammers so?" 
"Just one," said he, and then, with twinkling eye, 
"The anvil wears the hammers out, you know."

And so, thought I, the anvil of God's Word, 
For ages skeptic blows have beat upon; 
Yet though the noise of falling blows was heard, 
The anvil is unharmed . . . the hammers gone.

—Author unknown

No comments: