Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Friday, August 5, 2016

Sweetly submissive to the will of God

shall it not fare with us as with the pliant reeds which love the hollows and fringe the margin of the lake. Bending to the stormy blast, not resisting it — they raise their heads anew, unharmed by the storm that has snapped the mountain pine, and rent the hearts of oak asunder!

"Father, if You are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but may Your will be done." Luke 22:42 

"It is the LORD. Let Him do what seems good to Him." 1 Samuel 3:18 

"May the Lord's will be done!" Acts 21:14

"It is a very great attainment to lie passive in God's hands, and know no will but His!" (Alexander Smellie)

"Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition." (Jeremy Burroughs)


From 'gems from Thomas Guthrie'

No comments: