Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Desiring to be with Him

Thomas Holland: "Come, O come, Lord Jesus, O bright Morning Star! Come, Lord Jesus, I desire to be dissolved and to be with you."

Rutherford: "I have got the victory, and Christ is holding out both arms to embrace me."

Richard Baxter: "I have pains, there is no arguing against sense; but I have peace, I have peace." "Almost well." "The Lord teach you how to die."

Bunyan: "Weep not for me but for yourselves. I go to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who no doubt will receive me though a sinner, through the mediation of our Lord Jesus Christ; where I hope we shall before long meet to sing the new song, and remain happy forever, in a world without end. Amen."

John Owen: "The long wished for day is come at last, in which I shall see the glory of Christ in another manner, than I ever have done, or was capable of doing in this world."

John Flavel: "I know that it will be well with me."

Alexander Henderson: "I am near the end of my race, hastening home, and there was never a schoolboy more desirous to have the play, than I am to have leave of this world."

Halyburton: "Though my body be sufficiently afflicted, yet my spirit is untouched." "Free grace, free grace; not unto me!"

Thomas Cartwright: "I have found unutterable comfort and happiness, and God has given me a glimpse of heaven. I have fought the good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day."

Hervey: "How thankful I am for death! It is the passage through which I get to the Lord and giver of eternal live. These light afflictions are but for a moment, and then comes an eternal weight of glory. O welcome, welcome death! You may well be reckoned among the treasures of the Christian. To live is Christ, to die is gain."


John Tennent: "Farewell my brethren, farewell father and mother, farewell world with all your vain delights! Welcome God and Father! Welcome sweet Lord Jesus! Welcome death! Welcome eternity! Amen. Lord Jesus, come, Lord Jesus."

John Newton: "More light, more love, more liberty. Hereafter I hope, when I shut my eyes on the things of time, to open them in a better world. What a thing it is to live under the shadow of the wings of the Almighty! I am going the way of all flesh. If the Lord were not gracious, how could I dare to stand before him.?"

Ebenezer Erskine: "Though I die, the Lord lives. I have known more of God since I came to this sick bed, than through all my life."

Ralph Erskine's last words were: "Victory, victory, victory!"

D. H. Gillette: "O that I had strength to shout. I feel so happy; I hope soon to be able." "O the precious Savior; what is the world to me, with all its vanity? Give me Jesus." "Do not weep for me, I am going home!"

Alexander Proudfit: "When will this lingering conflict end? Oh for a speedy and easy transition! Oh for deliverance from this corruptible body—this body of sin and death! Come, blessed Jesus, dear Savior, come! come! I long to depart." His last words were that Jesus was present with him, and that he was not afraid to die.



No comments: