Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Friday, March 11, 2016

sin....exceedingly sinful

“Sin ... exceeding sinful.”
- Rom_7:13
Beware of light thoughts of sin. At the time of conversion, the conscience is so tender, that we are afraid of the slightest sin. Young converts have a holy timidity, a godly fear lest they should offend against God. But alas! very soon the fine bloom upon these first ripe fruits is removed by the rough handling of the surrounding world: the sensitive plant of young piety turns into a willow in after life, too pliant, too easily yielding. It is sadly true, that even a Christian may grow by degrees so callous, that the sin which once startled him does not alarm him in the least. By degrees men get familiar with sin. The ear in which the cannon has been booming will not notice slight sounds. At first a little sin startles us; but soon we say, “Is it not a little one?” Then there comes another, larger, and then another, until by degrees we begin to regard sin as but a little ill; and then follows an unholy presumption: “We have not fallen into open sin. True, we tripped a little, but we stood upright in the main. We may have uttered one unholy word, but as for the most of our conversation, it has been consistent.” So we palliate sin; we throw a cloak over it; we call it by dainty names. Christian, beware how thou thinkest lightly of sin. Take heed lest thou fall by little and little. Sin, a little thing? Is it not a poison? Who knows its deadliness? Sin, a little thing? Do not the little foxes spoil the grapes? Doth not the tiny coral insect build a rock which wrecks a navy? Do not little strokes fell lofty oaks? Will not continual droppings wear away stones? Sin, a little thing? It girded the Redeemer’s head with thorns, and pierced his heart! It made him suffer anguish, bitterness, and woe. Could you weigh the least sin in the scales of eternity, you would fly from it as from a serpent, and abhor the least appearance of evil. Look upon all sin as that which crucified the Saviour, and you will see it to be “exceeding sinful.”

Spurgeon

2 comments:

Erinn_D said...

Hi Lyn,

I stumbled across your blog last night. I forgot how I found it. I may have googled a subject that brought up your blog somehow. I read many of your posts, including your testimony. I was encouraged. I have a similar background, and believe that the Lord has been dealing with me for many years. I believe He set me free from homosexuality before He ever really began to teach me about true conversion. I had never acted on it, but my heart and mind were fully enslaved to it. I remember feeling led to confess it to the two closest people in my life, and after that, the stronghold of it was broken. I had tempting thoughts once in awhile, but it never gripped me again, though my heart and mind continued not to know how to relate to men rightly, and I went in the opposite direction, lusting over them instead. It has only been since about 2011, though, that He began to stir in my heart and show me that something was really missing in my life. I have been a professing believer since I was 12, and thought I was saved then, but I knew nothing of salvation then, and continued on and off in my sin for another 15 years or so...sometimes openly walking apart from God, and at other times "trying" to "be good," even being a part of a few ministries. But in 2012, the Lord began to show me my heart that was full of enmity against Him and His sovereignty, and then showed me more of my heart, leading me to see my need of grace. In 2014, He showed me that I was utterly blind and had no spiritual knowledge of Himself or the Gospel. I was terrified, and began to beg Him to save me...truly convert my heart. Over the past few years, I have read many good things about grace, and Ruth Bryan is one of my favorite authors. I immediately noticed your quote by her on your blog and my interest was stirred. Her writings have been so encouraging to me over the past couple of years, as well as writings by many of the Reformers and Puritans. Five years ago, I literally did not know these people existed, and knew nothing of the Christianity which they wrote about. I confess that I am still shaky, and often cry out to the Lord, "Say unto my soul, I am your salvation." I long daily for more revelation of Christ and His gospel, since I still so deeply feel my ignorance. At times, my sin seems so strong and I lose hope, I mean mainly inwardly. I recently got married to a wonderful and godly man, and my pride and selfishness have been revealed, and I feel like the most ugly monster at times...well, a lot of the time. I am constantly waiting on the Lord to help me and manifest Himself more to me. I feel so deficient in my experimental knowledge of Christ, but it is what I long for more than anything in my life, so I try to hold on to that, trusting that He is at work in my heart, leading me on. I have felt His Word come with power at times, and set my soul at liberty, but still feel much bondage of spirit much of the time.

Anyway, I hope this epistle hasn't been too much. It is so rare to find others, especially women, who have been led by the Lord to the pure Gospel of the free grace of Christ. You know how corrupt the church is now. Just wanted to drop a note and say that I was happy to find your blog, and see that the Lord is revealing Himself to others as well.

My husband and I live in SC, and attend an FCC church here. :)

lyn said...

Erinn,

What a blessing to read all you have written! Praise the Lord for setting you free, and saving your soul.

A lot of what you feel and battle sounds similar to my own thoughts and struggles. Pride and selfishness often grip me more than I like, but I know my God is merciful and will continue to refine and chastise me - for that I am thankful. You are not alone in what you've described, may God grant us the strength to overcome and continue to grow in the Lord.

Yes, the church is so corrupt; I have searched my area and cannot find a true church that trembles at God's word and proclaims the whole counsel. At this time, I have no home church. I do meet on Sundays with other believers and we do a bible study.

Gracegems.org is a treasure for those who like Ruth Bryan as well as a ton of others that are a blessing to read! You may already be familiar with that site, if so, you know what a blessing it is.

It is rare indeed to find a true follower of our Lord, America is a nation that is permeated with a shallow version of Christianity. We send missionaries abroad, and we are in greater need than the countries abroad! Honestly, I don't think I'd want an American missionary to knock on my door. There are a lot of issues withing the visible churches in this country, and erroneous teachings fill the pulpits. I am grateful to God for His gift of discernment.


I live in central Illinois, not much here but cornfields. St. Louis is less than an hour to my south, and Springfield is the same distance to the north of me. However, I don't go out much and 'mingle'. I prefer to be at home with my family and with the Lord. Like you, I long for more of Christ, for more intimacy with the Lord. To get closer to Him and know Him more deeply is a true desire of mine, it sounds like you have the same desire.

It was so nice to hear from you, do feel free to write me anytime {laurielynbern@hotmail.com}. I pray you and your husband will be blessed by God, and that He will give you the desires of your heart.