Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Monday, March 21, 2016

Sin is costly





I believe there are three words which will haunt you in hell and I believe these three words are being shouted in hell tonight. The cries of the damned are encircled around these three terrible words. Listen to me, friends, if you die in your sins and you are cast into hell's fire, the three words will follow you there, three words will gnaw at you there. The three words which will haunt you in hell are these: sin is costly. Sin is costly. Sin is costly. That's what the doomed are crying right now. That's what the wicked are screaming right now. That's what the damned in hell are hollering right now. Sin is costly! Sin is costly! Sin is costly! 
That's the title of my message this evening, friends, "Sin Is Costly," and my text can be found in the book of Numbers 32. You can turn in your Bibles there now, friends. It's just one little verse, but that one verse will follow you into hell. Look at verse 23,  "But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out".

I wish to begin the sermon with the aspect of how sin will cost you in life and I believe the proof text for this can be found in one of the saddest chapters in my Bible, 2 Samuel 11. Turn in your Bibles there now, friends, as we peer into the life of a man favored by God who carelessly and presumptuously sinned against God and that man was King David. We find David reclining and resting on his recent successes when he should have been out fighting the Lord's battles. He rises from his bed and goes for a stroll atop his palace and his eyes fall upon a stunning beauty who was washing herself. She is naked and he should have looked away, but instead he leered, he lusted, and he began his great descent into the sins of adultery and murder. Listen to me, friend, sin will always take you further than you want to go. It will leave you there longer than you want to stay and it will cost you more than you ever realized. Our text in verse 2 reads, "And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon."

Now I want to have you turn over in your Bibles, friends, as we scan the price that King David paid for his sin, the consequence of his sin, the cost of his sin in his life. In chapter 13 of 2 Samuel, we find the record of Amnon raping Tamar, then Absalom kills Amnon for this wicked act. Then in chapter 15, verse 13 we read, "The hearts of the men of Israel are after Absalom." David's choice son has turned against him in rebellion. Then Absalom is killed and we see David's heart break from the news of his son's death. Listen to the anguish in his voice as found in 2 Samuel 18:33, "And the king was much moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept: and as he went, thus he said, O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! would God I had died for thee, O Absalom, my son, my son!" This, friends, is a clear picture of the certain fact that sin is costly. Sin will cost you in life. David's sin affected his entire family.

I once knew a man who had a perfect life. He had a lovely home, a good job, an affectionate Christian wife and several beautiful children. He served in several capacities of leadership at his church. Then he got a new young secretary who was half his age and he had an adulterous affair with her. His sin cost him his family, for his marriage ended in divorce. He lost his house. He lost his reputation as a Christian leader. One of his children rebelled in her teenage years and her life became a train wreck. Listen to me,  friend, and listen to me very carefully: sin will cost you in life. It will ruin your marriage. It will ruin your home. It will ruin your family. Do you believe that? Do you?

Listen to me, friend: if I could walk you right now over to the precipice of hell and lift the lid off that bottomless pit, I believe you'd hear millions and millions of lost souls crying out in agony tonight, "Sin is costly! Don't come here to this place of torment! Listen to our warnings! Sin is costly! Sin is costly! It cost me my soul. I can't get out of this horrible prison. Listen to me, those of you still on the earth, don't come to this place of torment and misery! Sin is costly! Sin is costly! Sin is costly!" That is their cry, friend. Will it be your cry as well?

Now, let me explore a final aspect of our theme this evening and it is this: sin cost a holy God his only begotten Son and sin cost Jesus Christ his precious blood. Mark 15:25 records the result of the cost of sin. Listen to these stark words which cause the angels in  heaven to pause and weep, "And it was the third hour, and they crucified him." Listen to me, friend, the little god you serve in this life won't serve you too well in eternity. You'd better trade out your little god of your imagination, the little god who lets you have a salvation and still be comfortable in sin. Listen to me: you'd better get rid of that god, friend, for he will surely cost you in hell because God must punish sin. The God of the Bible must punish sin. Now, some of you don't believe that, your God wouldn't act that way, but the God of the Bible would. God will and must punish sin. Sin costs. And when they took the Lord of glory with cruel hands, when they took that innocent blood and nailed him to that horrible death instrument of the cross, when the Roman soldiers took that hammer in their hands and began to pound and drive those thick nails into the Savior's tender hands, every blow of the hammer was an exclamation point of, "God must punish sin! God must punish sin! God must punish sin!"

Look at me, friend, give me your undivided attention. Listen to what I’m saying to you right now. All of you within the sound of my voice, listen to these 3 words and listen to them loud and clear: sin is costly. Sin will cost you in life. Sin will cost you in eternity. Sin is costly! Sin is costly! Sin is costly! Jesus said, "Unless you repent, ye shall all likewise perish," and that means you, friend, even if you're the Chairman of the Deacons.



Sin is costly!





E.A. Johnson 

2 comments:

Susan said...

Amen, all have sinned and fall short of God's glory. I think the ones that are t be most hardened against God are those who think they haven't sinned, never cheated on their spouse, raised beautiful and respectable children, pillars of the community.....not humble, not thankful to God for His mercy and grace, oh, they say they are, however their proud demeanor betrays that they love and worship self above all. Pride is the worst sin of all, the one that got satan cast from heaven. There are no "good people", there are only sinners....and sinners saved by grace.

lyn said...

I agree, I have neighbors who fit that description. They look down their noses at the less fortunate in the neighborhood and never see their own sins, like gossip, being a busybody, and judging others. Pride is indeed the worst sin, and the root sin.