Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Are you bruised enough?

It is hard to prescribe a just measure of humiliation. It is the same in the new birth as in the natural. Some give birth with more pangs, and some with fewer. But would you like to know when you are bruised enough? When your spirit is so troubled that you are willing to let go those lusts which brought in the greatest income of pleasure and delight. When not only is sin discarded but you are disgusted with it, then you have been bruised enough. The medicine is strong enough when it has purged out the disease. The soul is bruised enough when the love of sin is purged out. 

Thomas Watson  - “The Godly Man’s Picture”  

2 comments:

Darrel said...

Don't know how I missed this last week, but I did.

Jer. 31:14 "...And My people shall be satisfied with My goodness..." No doubt the same Goodness that lead us to repentance in the first place---Rom.2:4. Even the bruising is enveloped in His Gentleness and it continues on every day. Thank God He made my sin repugnant to me. To know His forgiveness in spite of all my sins is the cause of great humility before Him and increasing gratitude.

lyn said...

The love of sin is a natural thing, and all love darkness rather than Light. It isn't until God, in His mercy, works in us that we see how repulsive our sins truly are, and we flee from them. Detesting sin and mortifying it is something we need to pray for on a continual basis.