Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

When's the last time you heard/read this kind of truth?

I spend a good deal of time reading the writings of men from the past; men like Spurgeon, Pink, and Ryle. I do this because what they wrote and preached about was something we hear too little of today. The article I am about to share with you is from a brother in Christ who understands what true Christianity looks like....





MOST OF US no doubt have read John Bunyan’s classic, The Pilgrim’s Progress. Despite being written several centuries ago, it continues to hold readers in fascination and for some, more so than The Lord of the Rings because it is an allegory of the true Christian life; this is reality greater than fiction. One aspect that stands out in Bunyan’s portrayal of Christian is how he was beset with great trials before entering the Celestial City. This is an accurate depiction of the lives of those who truly desire to live a godly life (Acts 14:22).
Many preachers today emphasise that we are saved to have our best life now. It is true we are set free from the tyranny of sin, that our feet have been established on the path of Truth and we are on the way to glory, but seldom are we told that to enter the kingdom of God we must go through many trials. Instead we are told that since we have committed our lives to Christ, God is now going to bless all our plans – our careers, our finances, give us that perfect dream lover to live with happily ever after and keep us safe from all harm and danger. I want to reiterate that such a mentality is the furthest thing from authentic Christianity.

No comments: