Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Wordless Book

“Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.”


—Psalm 51:7
I daresay1 most of you have heard of a little book that an old divine used constantly
to study. When his friends wondered what there was in the book, he told them that
he hoped they would all know and understand it, but that there was not a single word
in it. When they looked at it, they found that it consisted of only three leaves: the
first was black, the second was red, and the third was pure white. The old minister
used to gaze upon the black leaf to remind himself of his sinful state by nature, upon
the red leaf to call to his remembrance the precious blood of Christ, and upon the
white leaf to picture to him the perfect righteousness that God has given to believers
through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ His Son.
I want you, dear friends, to read this book this evening, and I desire to read it myself.
May God the Holy Spirit graciously help us to do so to our profit!
I. The Black Leaf
First, let us look at the black leaf. There is something about this in the text, for
the person who used this prayer said, “Wash me,” so he was black and needed to be
washed. The blackness was of such a peculiar kind that a miracle was needed to

cleanse it away, so that the one who had been black would become white, and so

white that he would be “whiter than snow.”

continue reading Spurgeon here...

1 comment:

abbasgirlme said...

Sis, how do I follow your blog by email? I love your posts SO much. Thanks for the way that you honor our Lord Jesus and for standing so firmly on and for His word and for His truth. I love you my precious sister. <3