Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Being content

 For we brought nothing with us into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out, 1Ti_6:7. This is a reason why we should be content with a little. [1.] Because we can challenge nothing as a debt that is due to us, for we came naked into the world. Whatever we have had since, we are obliged to the providence of God for it; but he that gave may take what and when he pleases. We had our beings, our bodies, our lives (which are more than meat, and which are more than raiment), when we came into the world, though we came naked, and brought nothing with us; may we not then be content while our beings and lives are continued to us, though we have not every thing we would have? We brought nothing with us into this world, and yet God provided for us, care was taken of us, we have been fed all our lives long unto this day; and therefore, when we are reduced to the greatest straits, we cannot be poorer than when we came into this world, and yet then we were provided for; therefore let us trust in God for the remaining part of our pilgrimage. [2.] We shall carry nothing with us out of this world. A shroud, a coffin, and a grave, are all that the richest man in the world can have from his thousands. Therefore why should we covet much? Why should we not be content with a little, because, how much soever we have, we must leave it behind us? Ecc_5:15, Ecc_5:16.

Hence he infers, having food and raiment, let us be therewith content, 1Ti_6:8. Food and a covering, including habitation as well as raiment. Observe, If God give us the necessary supports of life, we ought to be content therewith, though we have not the ornaments and delights of it. If nature should be content with a little, grace should be content with less; though we have not dainty food, though we have not costly raiment, if we have but food and raiment convenient for us we ought to be content. This was Agur's prayer: Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me, Pro_30:8. Here we see, [1.] The folly of placing our happiness in these things, when we did not bring any thing into this world with us, and we can carry nothing out. What will worldlings do when death shall strip them of their happiness and portion, and they must take an everlasting farewell of all these things, on which they have so much doted? They may say with poor Micah, You have taken away my gods; and what have I more? Jdg_18:24. [2.] The necessaries of life are the hounds of a true Christian's desire, and with these he will endeavour to be content; his desires are not insatiable; no, a little, a few comforts of this life, will serve him, and these may hope to enjoy: Having food and raiment.
2. The evil of covetousness. Those that will be rich (that set their hearts upon the wealth of this world, and are resolved right or wrong, they will have it), fall into temptation and a snare, 1Ti_6:9. It is not said, those that are rich, but those that will be rich, that is, that place their happiness in worldly wealth, that covet it inordinately, and are eager and violent in the pursuit of it. Those that are such fall into temptation and a snare, unavoidably; for, when the devil sees which way their lusts carry them, he will soon bait his hook accordingly. He knew how fond Achan would be of a wedge of gold, and therefore laid that before him.  ~ Matthew Henry



HEAVENLY FATHER,
If I should suffer need, and go unclothed,
    and be in poverty,
  make my heart prize thy love,
  know it, be constrained by it,
  though I be denied all blessings.
It is thy mercy to afflict and try me with wants,
  for by these trials I see my sins,
  and desire severance from them.
Let me willingly accept misery, sorrows,
    temptations,
  if I can thereby feel sin as the greatest evil,
  and be delivered from it with gratitude to thee,
  acknowledging this as the highest testimony
    of thy love.
When thy Son, Jesus, came into my soul
    instead of sin, he became more dear to me
    than sin had formerly been;
  his kindly rule replaced sin’s tyranny.
Teach me to believe that if ever I would have any sin
    subdued
  I must not only labour to overcome it,
  but must invite Christ to abide in the place of it,
  and he must become to me more than
    vile lust had been;
  that his sweetness, power, life may be there.
Thus I must seek a grace from him contrary to sin,
  but must not claim it apart from himself.
When I am afraid of evils to come,
  comfort me by showing me
    that in myself I am a dying, condemned wretch,
      but in Christ I am reconciled and live;
  that in my self I find insufficiency and no rest,
    but in Christ there is satisfaction and peace;
  that in myself I am feeble and unable to do good,
    but in Christ I have ability to do all things.
Though now I have his graces in part,
  I shall shortly have them perfectly
  in that state where thou wilt show thyself
    fully reconciled,
  and alone sufficient, efficient,
    loving me completely,
  with sin abolished.
O Lord, hasten that day.

2 comments:

Susan said...

"Though now I have his graces in part,
I shall shortly have them perfectly
in that state where thou wilt show thyself
fully reconciled,
and alone sufficient, efficient,
loving me completely,
with sin abolished."

So true Lynn. Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.

So true about the trials of life. I recently read over the NT, now into the OT, then back to the new :) When reading Peter's letters I see how we are strengthened and purified through trials, they are the blessings that have us continually seeking the Lord in prayer.

Peace and contentment in Jesus,
Susan

lyn said...

Happy thanksgiving to you too dear sister! As I see the world chasing after it's material 'god' this holiday season, I praise the God of heaven and earth that I care nothing for material things, I only pray for my Lord to come. This world has nothing to offer me, and no happiness can be found here. Trials have brought me to my understanding of the foolishness of 'things', as the wicked bite, claw and scratch for things during their mad 'black friday' shopping rush. I have no desire to celebrate a holiday that is not found in God's word and will settle to praise God every day He gives me. HE is my great and exceeding reward, I am blessed!!!