Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Thursday, October 3, 2013

I am dull


(Choice selections from the writings  of William Tiptaft, 1803 - 1864)
 


I am a very dull scholar in Christ's school


What trials, afflictions, and sorrows are 
required to separate us from the world!

How hard, carnal, and selfish does a man 
become, who has nothing to soften him!

We need daily crosses and daily trials to
keep us in any way alive to eternal things,
and to maintain a spirit of prayer and
watchfulness.

I trust I can say that my sickness has proved
profitable to me; but I am a very dull scholar
in Christ's school, and need line upon line and
precept upon precept.

I have to lament a heart full of wickedness,
vanity, and folly. 

I feel a strong inclination to avoid every cross. 
But I am sure, nevertheless, that crosses are
daily needful.

How we cleave to the world! 

What pride, vanity, flesh-pleasing, and 
worldly conformity are manifest in us!

"Before I was afflicted I went astray, but
 now I obey Your word."
Psalm 119:67

2 comments:

dora said...

I also feel very dull. With the years I have been saved, you would think there would be more wisdom, knowledge, reverence etc.

Not so.

We are supposed to take up our cross daily and follow Christ.

I wonder how God views my cross?
Maybe if we knew, we would wish we didn't know.

It might be good to be afflicted, but, like many 21st century Christians, I shirk at it.

Yet, to God be all the glory, for He is most certainly worth it.

lyn said...

amen Dora