Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Friday, September 27, 2013

"Your eyes shall see the King in His beauty." Isaiah 33:17

The BIOGRAPHY of Ruth Bryan, 1805-1860



{picture from Dr. Tony Shaw}

Reader, This little book is sent forth with much prayer, that the anointing of the Holy Spirit may distill upon your soul in reading it; and that the faithful testimony it bears to the eternal love of God the Father, the redeeming grace of the Lord Jesus, and the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit—may be the means of encouragement to many tried and tempted souls. It breathes throughout of a full, free, and unconditional salvation to "the poor and needy."

JESUS, as the Alpha and Omega, was the one theme of the writer. He was as the dew to her soul; she had so beheld His glory, that she could truly say, "You are fairer than the children of men. Grace is poured into Your lips." "All Your garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia." "His mouth is most sweet. Yes, He is altogether lovely. This is my Beloved, and this is my Friend."
May the savor and fragrance of His precious name be "as ointment poured forth to you.
"Do not grudge to pick out treasures from an earthen pot."
"They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom, and talk of your power."—Psalm 145:11.
"Who has despised the day of small things?" was a question put to the prophet in days of old. And again, to the same prophet, it was declared, "Not by might, nor by power; but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts." In blessed keeping with this testimony, the apostle in after days says, "God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things that are mighty; and things which are despised has God chosen, yes, and things which are not, to bring to nothing things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence." We have abundant proofs still that the Lord, in the exercise of His Divine sovereignty, for the display of His own wisdom, does choose and make use of instruments, apparently the most unfit and unseemly, to carry out His own eternal purposes, that glory may redound to His great name.

None who were acquainted with the disposition of RUTH BRYAN, naturally so diffident and retiring, could have supposed there was within her so deep and privileged an insight into God's Word, qualifying her in an eminent degree to impart to her fellow-pilgrims the sweetest and most glowing views of the "truth as it is in Jesus." Taught as she had herself been by the Holy Spirit, in a clear and most experimental way, she was thereby fitted to minister from her own heart to the hearts and consciences of others. Moreover, the scenes of trial and deep soul-exercise through which she was called to pass, from her earliest years, prepared her all the more to "weep with those that weep," and "to rejoice with them that do rejoice."

The subject of this brief sketch was born in London, July 6th, 1805. Her father was at that time engaged in trade, but was soon after providentially called to Nottingham, to preach the everlasting Gospel.

I encourage you to read on by going here...



"This word has just struck me, "In the way of Your judgments have we waited for You, O God." I seem to see that when we are brought to walk in the way of the Lord's judgments, we are sometimes looking more for the deliverance we hope the Lord will work, than for Himself. I fear it has been so with me in my present straitness. Just as the lame man looked at Peter and John, expecting an alms, so I have looked at my dear Lord for the wonders of His hand in making a plain path for my feet. But He has royally outdone me, in giving me Himself in new revealings—with which my heart is satisfied, and my mouth stopped, and I leave all outside things to His will. Oh, to look on, to look ever. I look nowhere else, though Satan and the flesh fight against it mightily." - gleanings from the inner life of Ruth Bryan

No comments: