Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Thursday, September 26, 2013

To save a soul from death

The following is an excerpt from the diary of James Smith:

May 11, 1857. 
My soul burns with a desire to save souls! O how those words have been impressed on my mind lately, "He who turns a sinner from the error of his way--will save a soul from death, and cover a multitude of sins!" James 5:20 

What is it for a soul to die? 
It is to remain under the just wrath and endless curse of God!

What is it to save a soul from death? 
 
It is to snatch an immortal brand from burning in Hell!

To save a soul from death, is . . .
  to rob Satan of his prey,
  to deprive Hell of its fuel, and
  to prevent endless and indescribable torments! 

To save a soul from death, is . . .
  to place a jewel in the crown of Jesus, 
  to bring a sheep into the great Shepherd's fold, 
  and to tune a harp to the glorious harmony of Heaven!

To save a soul from death, is . . .
  the greatest work which one can do, 
  the highest honor which one can gain, 
  the most glorious triumph which one can win! 


grace gems

2 comments:

dora said...

It must have been quite a desire to write that in a diary.

To save a soul, to rob the enemy, and to give God glory.

I think, perhaps, I understand a little.

lyn said...

I am with you on that Dora. We seem to have little desire this day to cry out for the lost, and to evangelize. Some of the street preaching I have seen is nothing more than an attack on the unregenerate, a badgering. This is NOT going to win souls to Jesus. The power of God cannot be seen in many of the lives of those who profess Christ. May God revive His people, empower them to serve and love Him, and one another.