Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Monday, September 23, 2013

Oh magnify the Lord with me

O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together. ~ Psalm 34:3



 Is this request addressed to the humble? If so it is most fitting. Who can make God great but those who feel themselves to be little? He bids them help him to make the Lord's fame greater among the sons of men. Jehovah is infinite, and therefore cannot really be made greater, but his name grows in manifested glory as he is made known to his creatures, and thus he is said to be magnified. It is well when the soul feels its own inability adequately to glorify the Lord, and therefore stirs up others to the gracious work; this is good both for the man himself and for his companions. No praise can excel that which lays us prostrate under a sense of our own nothingness, while divine grace like some topless Alp rises before our eyes, and sinks us lower and lower in holy awe. “Let us exalt his name together.” Social, congregated worship is the outgrowth of one of the natural instincts of the new life. In heaven it is enjoyed to the full, and earth is likest heaven where it abounds.

C.H. Spurgeon, the Treasury of David

4 comments:

dora said...


And let us exalt His name together.

What a name to exalt.

God bless.

lyn said...

amen Dora!
thank you, and God bless you as well

Darrel said...

A little later in the same Psalm (v 18) David says: "The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit."
True, lasting and eternal praise to our God is born out of a humble and broken spirit. From the day we were save until now it is the humble who find the grace of God (James 4:6).
"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all." Psa. 34:19.
And yet how we complain at his chastening and the trials that come our way not knowing that He always has our best in His mind (I am guilty). Which trial did not produce humility that resulted in great praise for His deliverance?
Lord help us to understand your ways.

lyn said...

I am guilty as well Darrel, and I am so thankful for the love and mercy He shows, along with His patience. Our God is nothing like us, we cannot begin to fathom His attributes or know Him as we should because our own sinfulness. We only see now in a glass darkly - 'For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.' 1 Corinthians 13:12 Oh how I pray for the day to come when we all will see, face to face.