Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Thursday, August 8, 2013

The danger of small sins



"Consider, however, how many 'small' sins have received the greatest wrath: the eating of the fruit, gathering a few sticks on the Sabbath, and the touching of the ark. O the dreadful wrath that these sins brought down on the hearts of men! Small sins make way for greater ones. We do not have the power to keep off sin as we please. By yielding to the lesser, we give opportunity for Satan to tempt us in the greater. Augustine tells the story of a man that was of the opinion that the devil made the fly. One said to him, 'If the devil made flies, then he made worms.' 'True,' he said, 'the devil did make worms.' 'But,' said the other, 'if the devil made worms, then he made birds, beasts, and man.' He granted all. 'Thus,' said Augustine, 'by denying God in the fly, he came to deny God in man and all creation.'

Yielding to 'lesser' sins draws the soul to greater. It is a sad thing to depart from God for a trifle. It is the greatest folly to venture hell for a small matter, and to break with God for a little. The less the temptation the greater the sin. For the love of one little sin, some have lost God, and their souls forever. Many times small sins are more dangerous. Great sins startle the soul, and awaken it to repentance, but little ones breed and work secretly until they trample the soul. Sin grows by degrees until you cannot prevail over it. O that God would open the eyes of a sinner to see the horrid vileness of all sin".

— Thomas Brooks


HT- Erin Benziger

2 comments:

Susan said...

Lyn, I sin every day, and if I say I do not, I am a liar. Many of my sins I can keep hidden in the realm of only my thoughts, and yet, there they are, and I can make myself to look holy and good on the outside, and yet sin still resides within me. Every time I get impatient, or angry, or think I am better than someone else, I sin. Those are not small, but I guess if I compare myself to an ax-murderer they can appear to be small...and yet Jesus said if I am angry with my brother I am a murderer. Without Jesus' forgiveness I would be without hope.

lyn said...

Exactly Susan, we see our sins and are horrified by them, but we live daily a life of repentance. We know our sins have been atoned for by Christ our Lord; we know we must battle sin all the days the Lord gives us on earth. One day, the battle will be over.