Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why I praise God I am no longer a member of a Southern Baptist Church

I spent the first seven years of my Christian life as a member of an SBC church. I witnessed numerous altar calls as 'Just as I am' played in the background {over and over and over!}. I saw sin alive and well within the church walls as well as a very shallow understanding of biblical Christianity. At that time, I was new to the faith so I did not understand what was taking place. As God grew me, I started questioning things like the VBS program and Lifeway; to no avail.  I found no solid fellowship within this church body with no one ever caring to discuss in depth the word of God. I did find they would open up to me when they wanted to spread gossip and slander others; the women of the church warmed up to this in a heartbeat. I never heard their testimonies, I realize now it's because they don't have one.  My former church now has about 7 members left who attend regularly, which is sad. I say all that to prove a point, the gospel of free will produces false converts.
Today I discovered at CRN an article that prompted me to write this post.  It seems the SBC has decided to reject the doctrines of grace, which is tragic. Since we are saved by grace, which is God's gift given to whom He chooses, what soteriology do they adhere to if not the doctrines of grace?
Let me share with you from their doctrine, article 8...
_____________________________________________________________________
Article Eight: The Free Will of Man
We affirm that God, as an expression of His sovereignty, endows each person with actual free will (the ability to choose between two options), which must be exercised in accepting or rejecting God’s gracious call to salvation by the Holy Spirit through the Gospel.
We deny that the decision of faith is an act of God rather than a response of the person. We deny that there is an “effectual call” for certain people that is different from a “general call” to any person who hears and understands the Gospel.
 ____________________________________________________________________

This enrages me because it is NOT biblical and will lead even more down the broad road. As I stated, I attended an SBC church and saw some of my family members  baptized, they are now walking contrary to the will of God. They bear no evidence they are born again; they are almost unreachable. This is the damning heresy of this unbiblical doctrine of 'free will'.  These people believe themselves saved because they made a decision or invited Jesus into their heart, or filled out a card,  were baptized, or whatever other man-made means one can come up with to lure the sinner to that altar and convince them they are saved. They do not need to hear the truth because they're already 'right with God'. They have it all taken care of and are going to heaven, all based on their free will act. What must be understood is that our will is just as corrupt as our thoughts, which are what prompt our free will.

As for their denying that faith is an act of God {actually it is a gift of God as Ephesians 2:8-9 teaches} and is a response of the person, I say 'accursed gospel'!!!  An insightful teaching on this from Jim McClarty can be viewed here.

Also, salvation is not based on two options, as the SBC claims. The Bible commands sinners to repent, this isn't a choice!! The Bible commands us to believe on the Lord Jesus; what sinner is going to forsake the sins that he/she loves and believe in a God they hate? We cling with white knuckles to sin; it takes the mighty supernatural power of God to break us over sin and bring us to the understanding of just how vile and wicked we are. The doctrine of total depravity is ESSENTIAL in the Gospel of Christ. If a sinner doesn't know how vile they are and that they have no hope apart from grace, how could they ever possibly make a wise choice in spiritual matters?
To tell sinners to pick Jesus is to rob God of all glory in salvation, it is to make a two-fold son of hell as the wide road is broadened to make room for  'free will' sinners.
The doctrines of grace are NOT a teaching from Calvin, they are found throughout Scripture as Calvin discovered and brought to light. They are the teachings of God Almighty, who is indeed sovereign and owes us nothing. He can choose some for life and leave the rest in their sins, for He will have mercy on whom He chooses. Why do we not get this? NO ONE deserves to be saved, for ALL have sinned and fall short. If God were to cast all into hell, would that mean He is unjust or that our free will put us there? If salvation were a choice, who in their right mind would choose to go to hell?!? There are tons of holes in this damning free will theology, BUT, it fills the pews.
There cannot be two ways to heaven, free will and total depravity cannot live together side by side. One is wrong, one is right. The one that is wrong wins out because it gives man the upper hand and lets him be in control of his destiny. That destiny will lead him straight into the mouth of hell; to reject God's grace and leave it up to 'self' is to still be in bondage to sin, the sin of pride. We who are truly born again by God's grace must not accept this, we can no longer sit back and be quiet or accept those who hold to this doctrine as 'brothers'.
Concerning God's grace, from article 4, they state, "We deny that grace negates the necessity of a free response of faith or that it cannot be resisted. We deny that the response of faith is in any way a meritorious work that earns salvation." Again, what do these folks do with Ephesians 2:8-9?  I do not consider those who believe this way as my brothers and sisters, this is no different than any other cult which uses man-made methods and works to get to heaven. May the Lord be praised for opening my understanding to His wonderful and blessed doctrines of grace. I know how utterly vile and helpless I am and I am so thankful for God's grace, which is made available only because the Lord Jesus Christ has been sacrificed. I have been reconciled, Christ died for me; chosen before the foundations of the world to receive eternal life, I have been redeemed and am one of God's chosen race, a royal priesthood... " But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. " 1 Peter 2:9

Here are just two verses that tell us who does the choosing...

  'But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.' - 2 Thessalonians 2:13

" You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. " -John 15:16

If Christ Himself tells us that He does the choosing, how can the SBC tell us we do? There is a great conflict here; I would NOT go against what the Lord Himself says, and neither should the SBC.

9 comments:

Linda said...

Truly excellent writing lyn and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

how engulfing this false teaching of free will is and I'm appalled at what they have written and believe. It's totally against God's word and just mere traditions of men....

Fortunately as I was growing up before I was even saved I was truly blessed with having a Mother who believed that the most important thing in finding a good Church is one that teaches closest to what the word of God actually says...

That's why she took us to a Presbyterian Church. Their only bad teaching is their mixed up views of the rapture and 2nd coming..

One of my brothers was saved years before I was and is now a Pastor. I remember him learning the teachings of Calvinism the reformation etc. I remember him telling me about TULIP when I didn't even understand it really. All I knew before I was saved was one truth that stuck in my mind and that was when the bible says we are DEAD we are DEAD and he pointed out to me that we are just as dead as a man in a casket and it takes an act on God's part to save us that we cannot even lift a finger.
thanks lyn

Darrel said...

I read the post earlier today at the SBC site and left my two cents worth of comments there. Lyn, you are totally correct in your statements concerning the "free-will" of man. This false doctrine has disgusted me for a long time and I do not expect the fight against it to ease up. As far as the SBC churches are concerned, there is a shrinking number where the Word is truly taught. Lies and false doctrine abound even here in the depths of the "Bible belt". My wife and I have left two SBC churches in as many years and do not intend to seek out another. One was the largest in our city and the other a mid-sized one--both were infested with false doctrine and worse "teachers". We now attend a small Bible church (150+/-) with a pastor hungry for the Word who actually knows what he is talking about and teaches correctly--Thanks be to God.

May I encourage any one who is caught in a church that does not teach sound doctrine to stand against the lies and false teachers. But be warned: your efforts will likely be met with great resistance and possible expulsion from their "church" (read 'society'). There are many scriptures that command this of true believers, Eph.5:11, Jude 3 Titus 1:11 and others.

I pray that the Lord would expose the evil and glorify His Name.

lyn said...

Linda and Darrel,

It is quite obvious to me that deception is growing rapidly and swallowing up the visible church. This is exactly why I drive home the fact that allegiance to a denomination is so very dangerous, they tell you what you have to believe; just like the RCC, the SBC is telling its followers what they have to believe, and unless they are good Bereans, they will swallow this up. Let us always speak out against this false teaching, while we have breath in our lungs brother and sister.

I thank God for you both, stand firm...

Amanda said...

Amen

lyn said...

Hi Amanda,
I am glad you liked the post, may the Lord be glorified.

I also wanted to say what adorable children you have, they are absolutely precious! Children are a wonderful gift from God, as you well know. Sadly, our culture does not see it that way as most children come from broken homes and are now being adopted or born into homosexual relationships by artificial methods. That is like taking a gift and destroying it.


Blessings to you Amanda

Lyn

Linda said...

lyn do you know how long the SBC has supported this statement? I'll ask Mike Ratliff also.

"It is quite obvious to me that deception is growing rapidly and swallowing up the visible church." yess this time of dispensation of grace is coming to a close and I pray that the last gentile will be saved soon and that the Lord Jesus will come quickly.. Maranatha

lyn said...

I'm sorry Linda, I don't know. I will say this, the SBC church I was a part of adhered to free will, they just never said so outright. There was never any in-depth preaching on man's depravity or any of the doctrines of grace. That's a pretty good indication they never adhered to tulip.

Let me know if you find out, Mike is more apt to have an answer for you than me.

Linda said...

Mike Ratliff said,,

"Linda, actually the SBC has Calvinistic roots. Yes, I know that may shock a lot of people, but its true. The radical Arminianism that you are talking about began to become prevalent in the early 1900′s as the mainline Protestant denominations (which were Calvinistic as well) were compromised by Liberalism that began in Germany. The drive to counter that in the U.S. gave rise to what we know now as Evangelical Fundamentalism, which is highly anti-intellectual. Well, since intellectualism was de-emphasized in the SBC and other Fundamentalist denominations, it was only a matter of time that doctrine also became less and less emphasized as the older generations died off who knew doctrine. Now the SBC and other denominations that came along on the same ride are sitting with a man-centered theology that holds to a world-view of God and man that is not in the least Biblical. Instead, everything is tradition based and those traditions cannot stand up to Biblical scrutiny from those who really know Doctrine, hence the battles we have been having…"

I'm gonna surf around and read their statements of faith and all

SBC does stand for Southern Baptist Church right? Reason why I ask is I find Southern Baptist Convention also for SBC....

Does this SBC encompass all Baptist Churches?

Thanks lyn I'ma gonna look into it a bit

lyn said...

Linda, They are one in the same; SBC stands for all southern Baptist churches. Again, the dangers of not being a good berean will keep those who are loyal to the SBC in the dark as far as free will goes.

Let me know what you dig up