Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Each one had six wings...

This is a wonderful reminder from Grace Gems...


Each one had six wings!


(J.R. Miller, "Devotional Hours with the Bible")

"In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of His robe filled the temple. Above Him were seraphim, each one had six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying." Isaiah 6:1-2

There is something unusual and very impressive in the description of the seraphim in this vision. "Each one had six wings!" Wings are for flight--it is the mission of angelic beings to fly on God's errands. The six wings would seem to signify special readiness to do God's will. But they suggest here, more than their normal use--to fly.

The modern Christian would probably use them all for flying--and would be intensely active. We live in an age when everything inspires to activity. We are apt to run, perhaps too greatly, with our 'wings'.

But we should notice that two of the seraphim's wings were used in covering his face when before God--teaching reverence. Two of them also were used in covering his feet--humility. The other two were used in flying--activity. Reverence and humility--are quite as important qualities in God's service, as activity!

2 comments:

Linda said...

That's just beautiful and something I need to muse on for awhile..


don't wanna read too much into it but it kinda makes me think about how patience and humility are qualities God looks for more in using his Children than our own strength. amazing that God gave them 6 wings and none for flight

once again thanks lyn..

Hope and pray all is well today

Linda

lyn said...

It's a shame there are few Godly men today who can give us such treasures as this, which is why I enjoy Spurgeon, Ryle, Watson, etc.

As for qualities God looks for, you nailed it. Humility and reverence for Him must be at the 'top of the list', along with love. One thing I have learned, never lean on my own strength for anything. I am helpless, powerless, and a defeated foe if I look to 'self' for any kind of solution to whatever I face.

Thank you sister, all is well; may He richly bless you this day