Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Learning Contentment

Being content in all situations is a lesson we must learn in order to advance in our walk with Christ. Outward situations and circumstances should never be the source of our contentment/discontentment. God will put us to the test, in most cases, taking us to the edge so we may truly cultivate contentment within. Thomas Watson teaches this priceless pearl of a lesson in his sermon entitled 'the art of divine contentment'.

Here is a snippet...

We must be content, not only when God gives mercies, but when He takes away. If we must "in every thing give thanks,"1 Th. 5. 18 then in nothing be discontented.

Perhaps God hath taken away the cistern, that he may give you the more of the spring; he hath darkened the starlight, that you may have more sun-light. God intends you shall have more of himself, and is not he better than ten sons? Look not so much upon a temporal loss, as a spiritual gain; the comforts of the world run dregs; those which come out of the granary of the promise, are pure and sweet.

Your child was not given but lent: "I have, saith Hannah, lent my son to the Lord;"1 Sa. 1. 28 she lent him! the Lord hath lent him to her. Mercies are not entailed upon us, but lent; what a man lends he may call for again when he pleases. God hath put out a child to thee a while to nurse; wilt thou be displeased if he takes his child home again; O be not discontented that a mercy is taken away from you, but rather be thankful that it was lent you so long.

3 comments:

Jehovah Mekoddishkem said...

that's a good piece. One that I agree with.

One thing I've learned when I'm praying to the Lord is, You owe me absolutely nothing Lord and you have my best interest at heart so whatever happens I will be thankful to You because of who you are and what you've done. If I pray for safety while driving, well that's my hope is that I'm kept safe, but I know I've learned that even if something happens-even something terrible, God is good and like Job said so beautifully, ""Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."~Job 1:21

I just love that because it's so true and we learn by believing the TRUTH godliness with contentment really is great gain.

We have all we need in Christ and praise be his holy name forever Lyn

Thanks sis

lyn said...

Every lesson God teaches us comes by Him placing us in the 'trenches' so to speak. We simply cannot say 'I know what it means to be content' unless God has worked that in us. Your example is wonderful, yes we pray God keeps us safe while we drive, but if we are injured or something worse, we know He is sovereign and all things happen according to His purpose and plan. Some would argue we are just pawns, but that comes from a mind that is ignorant of the attributes and sovereignty of God.
Do our children learn right from wrong if we just let them go their own way? Of course not; unfortunately, that is what's happening in our society today. If God the Father does not chasten, refine, and rebuke His own, then we do not belong to Him.
Here is another example; if you are self-sufficient and relying on a well paying job instead of God, He will take that job from you and bring you down to nothing if need be to teach you how to be reliant upon Him and be content with whatever He pleases to give or not give you. That is a huge problem in America, so many rely on their wealth and their education to make it in this life and are not content with what they have, they still desire more 'stuff'; sadly they are in for a huge wake up call if God does not humble and save sinners in this nation.

We deserve nothing but His wrath, every one of us. He has been gracious and saved some...all for His praise and glory. To that I say a hearty AMEN!

Jehovah Mekoddishkem said...

Amen Sister Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. ~Lamentations 3:22.