Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How do we acquire faith to believe?

I have heard Gospel presentations that include putting one's faith in Christ, or placing one's trust in Him; is this biblical and how does one do this? The Bible commands us to believe, but can we do this on our own? If we are born sinners, slaves to sin as our Lord tells us in John 8:34, then how can we who are in bondage to sin, which overpowers us, how can we place faith and trust in God? Is this not teaching salvation by works? Where does this faith and trust come from, is it buried deep within our depraved natures, do we have the ability to believe in Christ on our own? This debate will continue until Christ returns.
For a deeper look, let's go to Ephesians 2:8-9 for an explanation of this dilemma. You must go into the original language to understand and unpack these verses; for that, we turn to Jim McClarty...


6 comments:

Committed Christian said...

Amen to that! God indeed has supplied everything to His people necessary for salvation...including faith.

lyn said...

The free will theology is damning to the soul; to tell a dead in sin sinner to place something they do not possess in Jesus is just as dangerous as telling them to repeat a prayer, make a decision, invite Jesus into their heart, or choose Him. Oh how God is being rob of glory due only Him by those who want to do 'something' to bring about their salvation, this is synergism, which means 'the theological doctrine that salvation results from the interaction of human will and divine grace'. If man must do something to bring about salvation, is he not robbing God of glory? God is not sovereign if He must have help bringing sinners into His kingdom; that is not the God that saved me, nor would I dare rob Him of one ounce of glory due only Him.

Jehovah Mekoddishkem said...

Amen, I love the end where he says "He did it all to the glory of his grace"... I love that it's all GOD getting all the glory and none of man. It's all Jesus...

Thanks that's excellent sister..

That's our greatest JOY is that God

Hallelujah!!

lyn said...

Hallelujah!!indeed Linda. Salvation is all of grace, solely for the glory of God; is He not worthy to be praised?!?! As I once heard a preacher named Art Azurdia say, 'it isn't that God saves some, it's that He saves any!'

Ma said...

God gives us the faith.

I don't know why I have faith and others don't, it is truly a gift.

I was talking with a loved one last weekend who told me he really wanted to believe, but just doesn't.

I pray God gives him this gift!

lyn said...

nice to hear from you Ma, your story is an example of this truth; you have faith because God has gifted you with the faith necessary to believe, your loved one wants to believe but simply cannot apart from Almighty God giving them this precious gift. True, lasting, saving faith comes from the One who gives us life, salvation and everything that goes with it...Jehovah God.

Bless you Ma,
lyn