Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Absolute Total Surrender

The Christian life is one of total surrender...DAILY! How are you doing? I am in need of His mercy, for I do not always oblige. This is from gracegems, may it encourage and bless you as it has me.

  ~  ~  ~ 


He asks for absolute surrender!

(J.R. Miller, "Daily Bible Readings in the Life of Christ" 1890)

"Follow Me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

"They immediately left their nets, and followed Him." Matthew 4:20

Their nets were probably all that they owned! It was
with these, that they earned their living. Yet at the call of
Christ--they gave up all, cut themselves off from their means
of support, and in simple obedience and faith, went with Him.


That is just what we all should do--when Christ calls us.
We should obey instantly and without questioning.
No matter how much the sacrifice involves--we should
make it cheerfully for His sake. Though to obey cuts us off
from all our ordinary means of livelihood, and leaves us
without provision even for tomorrow--we should not hesitate.
Christ takes care of His servants--when they are faithfully
doing His will. He asks for absolute
surrender to Him. He wants us to trust Him--while we obey Him unquestioningly.

The faith in Christ which the gospel requires--is the
utter, unreserved devotement of the whole life
to Him, and the unquestioning commitment to Him for
time and for eternity--of every interest and hope. The
question of what He will do with us or for us, or how
He will provide for us--should not be raised for an instant. There must be
no 'conditions'--in the following and the consecration. We may
not 'bargain' with Jesus for an easy time, for 'smooth and
pleasant paths'--but should simply give ourselves to Him
absolutely and forever, to follow where and to whatever He may lead us.

The "immediately" is also important. Many people are forever
postponing duties. But every call of Christ should be answered
immediately. Many people obey so laggardly, so reluctantly,
and so long after they are called--that half the
value of their obedience is lost! Christ always wants instant obedience.
There is no 'tomorrow' with Him. Tomorrow He may not have any need
of us, or we may not be here to do the duty which He now asks
of us.

4 comments:

myinnuendo99 said...

Yes, that's our struggle as Christians-to die to SELF. Why not? The moment we were saved we were emptied of self and God's love flooded and filled our hearts. Nothing better and more joyful
That war against the flesh and against the spirit.

You know, I remember when I was saved,, I actually thought that this Christian life would be so easy until I went to heaven. Little did I know how wrong I was.

It's just like a marriage--it takes hard work. God is so faithful to his covenant though. What would we be without Jesus. He's always faithful and just and he always keeps his promises--He will finish what he has begun in us and he is the Author and Finisher of our faith.

This Christian life is an endurance race and not a sprint race.

May God richly bless you Lyn and keep your eyes on the LORD

lyn said...

I know what you mean Linda, I too thought my life would be smooth sailing...ha! It has been anything but! Praise be to God for His refinement which He brings about by trials and testing.

May He bless you as well dear sister

myinnuendo99 said...

you said "ha!" that's funny.

anyways the other day, I was going through some try some times with my Son and a thought hit me that was just so sweet and true. I'd rather have hard times and struggles and have Jesus in my life any day then to have smooth sailing and never any problems and not have Jesus in my life. For no one has brought me more JOY than HE has even in the most painful times of my life, I've always found that I have hope, peace and joy in Christ when this old world stinks.

lyn said...

I see people all around me who seem to have no problems, but as Jonathan Edwards preached from the text 'their foot shall slide in due time' in his infamous sermon 'sinners in the hands of an angry God'; what awaits them is horrific. May God be merciful.