Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Afflictions are necessary

(James Smith,
"Afflictions Necessary"
1853)

"He does not afflict willingly." Lamentations 3:33

Here is a fact well known--the Lord afflicts His children.
Trouble never springs out of the dust--nor do afflictions come
by 'chance'. No! Every trial and affliction is sent from our
Father's throne--and its direction is written by our Father's
hand. He appoints the kind, the degree, and the
direction of our afflictions.

We are afflicted with disappointments, losses, and crosses. None
are exempt. None can always escape, for "the Lord tries the
righteous." "Many are the afflictions of the righteous."

"He does not afflict willingly." He only grieves us
from necessity. He has fixed His end, which is to make us holy,
and to conform us to the image of His Son; from this, He will
not be diverted--but He will surely accomplish it.

In the afflictions which He sends, God aims at . . .
  our deeper sanctification,

  or our greater usefulness,
  or simply at His own glory,

which is always linked with our good.

He therefore afflicts us--to exercise our graces; these
would otherwise often lie dormant, become weak, fade, and wither.

God afflicts His children--to wean us from the world, to
which we are too much attached, and would be more so, if it were
not for trials, disappointments, and vexations.

God afflicts His children--to  embitter sin, which
is the prolific root, on which every pain, grief and sorrow
grows. 

God afflicts His children--to endear the Savior, who is
our solace in sorrow, and will be our glorious deliverer from
it. Never does Jesus appear so precious--as in the hours of
trouble and trial.

God afflicts His children--to prevent our falling into
temptation, which we would do more frequently, if we were not kept
awake and watchful by our various sorrows.

God afflicts His children--to fit us for usefulness, for
as the land must be ploughed, harrowed, and crushed--if it is to
be fruitful and supply our needs; just so must we be tempted,
tried, and troubled--if we are to be of much use to
man, or to bring much glory to God.

God afflicts His children,
to make us long for heaven--which
we seldom do when all is pleasant, bright, and sunny below.

If God loves us with an infinite love;
if He has predestined us to be conformed to the image of His
Son;
if He will make us fit to be partakers of the inheritance of the
saints in light;
and if He will correct our faults and our follies

--He must afflict us!
  HT-Grace gems

2 comments:

myinnuendo99 said...

The sad reality is, many Christians don't learn much from the discipline and rebuke of God when he allows pain, adversities and hardships, in our lives and this is leaving many stunted in their walk with Christ and shallow in their joy with Jesus. Ecc. 7:4 "The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure." Most Christians are anemic because they shrink from adversities as being loving discipline in their lives from an All wise loving God who has our best interest at heart. Most of us either believe the Devil's lies that God is not good and owes me something or substitute and GET man's applauds, man's approval, man patting us on the back, man's help books,to soothe the PAIN instead of it being the other way around and GIVING TO JESUS and letting HIM be OUR applause, our joy, our only peace and hope which causes us to fall short of ever really delighting in the LORD as my Strength and my Confidence. No wonder people lack the fear of the Lord and fail to believe that we are more than conquerors through him -Christ who loved us"-Rom.8:37--RIGHT NOW. And then Children of God wonder, why is it I don't have intimacy and closeness with the Lord? It is impossible to really appreciate Jesus, be more obedient to Jesus and learn how much God truly loves us in Christ if we do not let God's WORD be our JOY, our HOPE, or LIFE, from PAIN and adversities. When was the last time many of us read God's word and could truly say-"I "did eat His word and it became sweet like honey in my mouth?--Ezekiel 3:3


"When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."--Psalm 73:21-26

lyn said...

Very well said. I know personally when God deals with me I am not thrilled but I understand and am thankful he loves me enough to chastise and prune
me!