Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

We only learn the hard way

This is a fantastic truth from Jon Cardwell's blog,Justification by grace; this comes from Charles Spurgeon...


School of Trouble

“Most of the great truths of God have to be learned by trouble; they must be burned into us with the hot iron of affliction, otherwise we shall not truly receive them. No man is competent to judge in matters of the kingdom, until first he has been tried; since there are many things to be learned in the depths which we can never know in the heights. We discover many secrets in the caverns of the ocean, which, though we had soared to heaven, we never could have known. He shall best meet the needs of God’s people as a preacher who has had those needs himself; he shall best comfort God’s Israel who has needed comfort; and he shall best preach salvation who has felt his own need of it.”

—Charles H. Spurgeon (1834-1892)

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Wonderful! Spurgeon is one of our favorites, and we read from his sermons quite a bit. It is so true that we learn most from our afflictions. Our son is going through an especially difficult time physically, but I'm so encouraged by the work I know God is doing through all of this.

lyn said...

Hi Trish,
Spurgeon has been such a blessing to me, as well as J.C. Ryle and Thomas Watson.
I know the trials are never pleasant when we are in the midst of them, but they are sent by God for a purpose. We should rejoice; these trials are evidence that we belong to Him.


Lyn