Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Monday, September 13, 2010

Our 'Walk'

Since God graciously saved a wretch like me, I have been through a few 'trials' and am being refined even as we speak. I am grateful to the Lord for the trials that He sends to 'whip me into shape'! I understand the world hating me, even when that includes my own family. When you point out sin, and refuse to embrace it as they do, you naturally come under attack. I praise God for His mercy and love, without Him I could not withstand these trials.
I came across this short study by Mike Ratliff; it reassured me and blessed me as well. I do hope you will be blessed as you read this...

The Spirit-filled Christian’s Walk is an Act of Worship
September 12, 2010 — Mike Ratliff

by Mike Ratliff

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil. Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 ESV)

The Christian walk that John Bunyan set before us in his masterpiece The Pilgrim’s Progress is not one of “having your best life now” nor is it having all of your problems suddenly replaced with “opportunities.” No, Bunyan understood, and we need to as well, that no where in God’s Word are we promised that all we have to do is “come to Jesus and all our problems are over.” No, in fact, the opposite may very well be true. Jesus was not exaggerating when he said in John 15:18-19, “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.”

continue here...

4 comments:

Ma ~ said...

"When you point out sin, and refuse to embrace it as they do, you naturally come under attack."

I am unfortunately going through this in my own life right now.:( Thanks for the article.

lyn said...

Ma,
Let's not forget to praise Him for these trials, they are proof we belong to Him. What an honor it is to undergo trials that produce Christ-likeness it us. I do not deserve to be conformed into His image, I deserve to be annihilated. Praise God for grace.
May the Lord strengthen you through this trial, He is faithful. This is the greatest lesson I am currently learning...God IS FAITHFUL!!


Lyn

Ma ~ said...

lyn,

Of course, you're right. He is so good and in refining us, there are some things that come our way that we never saw coming.

Praise Him in all situations!

lyn said...

That's right Ma. However, that does not mean that the trials God puts us through are not painful, they are indeed. It is very disheartening to be attacked by your own sister, as I have been. But, I know her heart is dead in sin, she speaks out of that dead state. The Lord said He did not come to bring peace, but division. How true!! These trials have taken me from being thin-skinned to having a little bit of a tougher 'exterior', so to speak. I don't see the attacks as something personal, they stem from dead hearts who need me to pray for their souls. We can say we know this and that, but, until God takes us through things personally, what we know will not become a reality. I see past 'me', understanding the words of Christ, "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you." It isn't the hate that I focus on, it's where the hate originates from. O that the Lord would open the blind eye and the deaf ear!!