Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Saturday, February 13, 2010

If any man serve me.....

by Pastorboy

The conversation that Jesus began with the Greeks in John 12 is a very fascinating one for me. It was not hi, nice to meet you, how are you doing? No, it was get to the point- The hour has come, unless a grain of wheat falls and dies it cannot produce, If a man loves his life he will lose it… It is clear in this passage that the shadow of the cross is weighing heavily on Jesus. He knows it is coming, He knows the approaching agony of the weight of sin and God’s wrath being poured out on Him. It becomes the focus of His mind and thoughts and teaching over these next several chapters and verses. In reality, he is preparing his followers for the cross that he must bear, but also the one they must bear. It is what makes this passage and these individual verses so very important to understand, for it is a clarion call to each of us about our life in Jesus Christ.

John 12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honor.

In this verse, Jesus is presenting a hypothetical situation. In this tense, the word If (Gr. ean) means perchance and indicates a hypothetical “any man” serving Jesus. Literally, this verse reads ean-if ego-I tis-any (person) diakoneo-serve/minister ego-I. So the call is to any man, to you and to I describing what it means (with the following words) to serve (diakoneo) or minister to Jesus. This Greek word indicates that the servant or the minister is in the presence of the one being served, in order for one to efficiently serve, they must be in close contact with the one being served. In this case, in order for us to serve Jesus, we must be a servant of Jesus. To be a servant of Jesus, one must be born again to be in his effective service. Let me illustrate with another verse....

continue here...

2 comments:

Marie said...

Laurie,

This was an excellent message; thank you! It was very much in line with my pastor's message yesterday on Matt. 16 ("If any man would come after Me, he must take up his cross and follow..."), about dying to self, and my daughter's Junior Church verse: "We love because he first loved us".

This was a great, succinct line: The reward is great, but the motive must be love or the difficulty with the life of a Christian will overwhelm us. How do we put to death the works of our flesh that want to over come us? Fall in love with Christ and seek to serve Him and the things of this earth will dim in comparison.

So true. I really feel like God is rebuking me because while I'm trying to do these things, ostensibly for His glory (Like get my book published; counsel; study for certification), and they're not bad things in and of themselves, I get frustrated and it draws my heart away from the prayer closet. I spend less time in the Word; less time serving my family from the heart. Then I feel frustrated because of the perceived distance with Christ.

It's hard to explain, but I'm constantly thinking on some level that I have to perform and succeed and above all, ACCOMPLISH in order to please Christ (and score points with Him). Crazy, I know. Then I have to walk myself mentally back through it in light of His priorities: I can try my best, but there are things I cannot control. However, nothing happens outside of God's Sovereignty. Therefore, I am not taking up the specific cross He wants me to carry, and not learning humility. I need to surrender my pre-conceived notions of what His goals are for me, and just stay at His feet.

I do love Him so much, but I get so busy and wrapped up in trying to earn His favor that I fall out of favor with Him, if that makes sense! And yet each time I seek Him in the Scriptures, I am overwhelmed with awe and love for the Person of Christ. I need to stay there, and follow His heart by loving those around me from the overflow of His love.

lyn said...

Hi Marie;
I am always blessed to hear from you. I too struggle with feelings of not doing enough, trying to earn my way. I must constantly remind myself Christ did it all.

I appreciate the succint line you pointed out as well, only loving Christ could get me through the trials and tribulations of this life. I can't even do that apart from His grace; these troubles I continually face are what cause me to draw near to Him, and to love Him more. That is my hearts desire, to be totally emptied of self, so He may receive the glory due Him!
Blessings to you my precious sister in Christ!