Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Monday, November 16, 2009

Sin- the most unpopular word in any language

We live in a time of great danger, many refuse to speak out against sin; seldom is judgment mentioned. Apostasy and deception are swirling about the land with much force. In Matthew 24, the disciples asked our Lord, 'when will all these things take place, and what will be the sign of your coming and the end of the age?'
The Lord responded, 'Take heed that no man deceive you'. Deception rides in on the heels of inaccurate preaching; refusing to speak out against sin for fear of making anyone uncomfortable is the 'excuse' most use.
I feel it quite necessary to share this quote from Thomas Brooks...
"Sin in a wicked man is like poison in a serpent; it is in its natural place."

When we share the Gospel with others, let's not fail to give the whole counsel. A lost sinner will never see the awesome beauty of the cross until they see their own filth, their own vileness and wickedness. Brokenness over sin cannot happen unless the sin is exposed. As painful and offensive as this may be to some, it is essential. If you truly love others and care about their eternal destination, do not sell them short! Speak the truth, for the sake of their souls.

4 comments:

Marie said...

So true!! This is the problem with watering down the Gospel - the Good News isn't really "good" until we understand the BAD news - that we're vile sinners deserving of an eternity separated from a holy God.

Right along with the hesitance to call sin 'sin' is the flack you will get for exposing false doctrine - the other side of apostasy. I had to take a stand just today, on a message board I was asked to moderate (but didn't really want to - long story). Anyway, I finally posted a Statement of Faith, and asked that claims of private revelation ("prophetic words") no longer be posted.

Needless to say, my decision did not go over too well.

lyn said...

Sister Marie, Good to hear from you. My internet time is not what it once was, so I am not able to post as often.
Stay the course sister, stay strong. Opposition to truth is growing stronger and those who oppose are becoming more volatile. Whenever we speak truth, it is never taken well by those who have their own 'brand' of religion!
Let's continue to pray for each other as we run the race, keeping our eyes focused on our reward...Jesus Christ!

Marie said...

Hey, but you know what? Sometimes when we share the Truth, it IS taken well and much appreciated! :)

This morning I was having a conversation about why the righteous suffer and are unappreciated with one of my patients (who believes in, and prays to God). Anyway, the upshot was I just happened to have a Bulgarian Paul Washer sermon with me, "The Meaning of the Cross", so I gave it to her. She very eagerly accepted it! She likes the stuff (reading material) I give her; she finds the Bible difficult to understand.

So, I guess, object lesson: ya gotta just keep trying and not worry what people think. :))

lyn said...

Amen Sister Marie! Perseverance...that is the key. We must not give up, or get discouraged. Remember, God does not call us to be successful in preaching the Gospel, just faithful. He will handle the 'hard part'!
May He bless you this day!