Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

She was only 22

an excerpt from the story of Helen Ewan written by James Alexander Stewart

I received a package in the mail today from a dear sister in the Lord, Mona Leiter, whose husband, Charles Leiter, is a true preacher of the word as well as the author of the book 'Justification and Regeneration'. The package included this booklet about Helen Ewan. I hope this brief excerpt will be a blessing to you...


After her conversion at the age of fourteen, Helen's whole personality was radiant with the glory of the Lord. Many testified that just her passing smile, or her cheery, 'Good day. God bless you' was an uplifting tonic to them the rest of the day.
In her prayer life, Helen was such an example to us all. She arose each morning around five o'clock to commune with her Lord. She would not put on the heat in her little cold room or seek to make herself comfortable in any way, feeling she could be more alert in the cold. And besides, those for whom she would be praying in foreign lands were not sitting in comfort.
She would begin her communion with praise and worship. She then read the Word to warm her heart. She remembered the words of her fellow Scot, Robert Murray McCheyne, 'it is the look that saves, but it is the gaze that sanctifies'. Helen gazed with rapture into the face of her Lord. I could not mention to you the expressions of adoration which she wrote down in her diary after such times with her Lord. They are too sacred for publication.
After fellowship and communion, followed her ministry of intercession for her friends and family, for her assembly, for hundreds of missionaries on the foreign fields. Then came her prayer ministry for the unsaved. She had a list of unsaved persons to whom she had testified and for whom she had prayed daily until they were born again. Her yearnings after the salvation of the lost were awful to behold.
The reason God gave her so many souls among rich and poor, young and old, illiterate and intelligent, was that she agonized for them in earnest intercession inside the vail. There was nothing vague or general about her pleas. She gave the date when she began to pray for a person and then the date when the prayer was answered. These diaries revealed a prayer life that moved God and man. No wonder that when God promoted her to glory at the age of 22, many wept throughout Scotland, and missionaries in far off lands felt they had lost their greatest prayer warrior.
Helen's seeking after lost souls also put us all to shame. I have seen her on a cold Scottish winter's evening with her arms around a poor drunken prostitute, telling her of Jesus and His love. On other occasions she would be dealing with drunken men, seeking to lead them to her Savior.
Robert Murray McCheyne used to seal his letters with a sketch of the sun going down behind the mountains and with a motto over it, 'the night cometh'. It was this same feeling of urgency that drew Helen on. Like McCheyne and Samuel Rutherford, Helen carried the fragrance of Christ with her, and like William C. Burns, she manifested the power of the Spirit. I have known her to slip quietly into a prayer meeting which had already begun and sit on the back seat; yet, every one of us knew she had arrived because of the mighty sense of the presence of God manifested in our midst.
Helen, who was an ordinary young woman, became extraordinary simply because she surrendered all to Christ and appropriated for herself all that was hers in Him. She, with unveiled face, took time to receive, and thus reflected, the glory of the Lord as she passed from one degree of glory to another.
May you, dear reader, be so fully surrendered to your Lord that you will, like Helen Ewan, fully reflect the glory of the Lord. Let this be your prayer, with Francis Ridley Havergal:

In full and glad surrender

I give myself to Thee
Thine utterly and only
And evermore to be
O Son of God who love'st me
I will be Thine alone
And all I have and all I can
Shall henceforth be Thine own
Reign over me Lord Jesus!
O make my heart Thy throne
It shall be Thine dear Savior
It shall be Thine alone!
Oh, come and reign Lord Jesus
Rule over everything
And keep me always loyal
And true to Thee, my King!

13 comments:

Marie said...

WOW. Didn't even put the heat on. That commitment puts me to shame - seriously. I say I love Jesus (and I DO), but my 'prayer life' does NOT look like that. Yet it should.

Laurie, thanks for posting this. You find some great ones for both conviction and encouragement!

lyn said...

Marie,
When I read this short booklet on this amazing woman's life and her total commitment to Christ, I was so ashamed. I fail miserably, not that I have to live up to her standards, but that my own life does not reflect such a commitment. God used this woman's story to cause me to cry out for such a commitment, such focus, dedication and loyalty. May it be just as the scriptures say, 'til Christ be formed in me'.

Pst. Jakes said...

I was moved by the first article on Helen after reading it in 1993. I was in the bush grazing my farther's cattle. I prayed and the Lord moved me so much that I started a series of prayers and fasting to seek the Lord of Helen. The Lord baptised me with His Holy Spirit and the fire has kept burning. Thank God for the Herald of His coming magazine for citing this article by alexander Stewart. -Pst. Jacob K. Gititi -Kenya.

Pst. Jakes said...

Helen's article was the most fascinating stories I have read. It made me tp go on a prayer season and after a while God filled me with His Holy Spirit. The flame burns to date as I minister along my profession as a management guru and paster. I read that Helen's photo even made sinners repent. I am just interested in seeing this photo. If anyone has the photo please attach it to gititij@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

am humbled that such a person existed, several years ago I read her story and did write names down for non believers, I dont know anyone whose name featured in the list who died before accepting Christ, by now about 70% who are alive are believers. Could someone share with me the photo too, omamo2001@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I love this story. Her testimony is a real challenge for young people today. Her love and dedication for GoD. The Bible says: " He that honor God, God will honor him", and this is what Helen had done.

lyn said...

Indeed, in our day, dedication of this kind is rare. This is due to lack of committed preaching of the word and laziness in bible study.

Ali said...

Today in our Youth Meeting, Helen was our main subject. Most of the youths never heard of Helen, but after today, they were really motivated to do something for Jesus.
I guest we all should be....

lyn said...

Ali,

We seem to have fallen into a state of apathy, the Bible clearly teaches we should be doers of the word as well as hearers. I'm afraid I fall short more often than I care to admit in that area. I do pray for God to work in me passion and zeal, and to keep my mind focused on the spiritual and the eternal. It is so easy to get caught up in this life, then I read stories like Helen's and hang my head in shame. Oh, to have that kind of passion....

Anonymous said...

God can i do more dan helen ewan?Can i change more lives dan she did.Evn at death,her legacy stil lives on.Chiaku,Nigeria

lyn said...

May we all desire to be like Helen, she is such an inspiration. This is what we need, to be relentless in our prayers for the lost and to seek them out. This world is in dire need of hearing the Gospel of Christ.

Thank you for your comment anonymous, it would have been such a blessing if you would have given your name!

Bless you,
Lyn

Anonymous said...

I first read the testimony in Herald of His Coming in 1980s. I lived in the Alaska bush. I now live in Israel and am seeking again to have His fire set more deeply in my heart and looked to find if there was any more written concerning her life...and several others who touched me so to convict me. Samuel Morris being another. God bless you and thank you. May HE be glorified and may we be ONLY signposts to Him!

lyn said...

I could not agree with you more; the zeal and passion this woman displayed is sadly sorely lacking in most of us, especially here in America. I am afraid we have gotten too comfortable with this life, to our shame. May God have mercy and forgive. May He remove all things from our hearts that keep us from such zeal and passion.