Precious Jesus

"Afresh, precious, precious Jesus, I resign this body to You, for doing or suffering, for living or dying. Will You accept it? Will You use me for Your glory more than heretofore, that You may have some little return for all the benefits You have done to me? Oh, do grant this request; my heart longs for it, my spirit pleads for it; and "if You will, You can." You know the hot temptation of which I am the subject. Bring Your glory out of it, and keep me from the evil, and it shall be well." - Ruth Bryan

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Nothing more precious




{This is a photo of my nephew Luke when he was less than a year old}



I have been blessed with numerous nieces and nephews, ranging in age from one to thirty. I really enjoy spending time with them, especially the little ones. I have a niece who is three, she is just adorable. After church Sunday, they all were here and Lauren spilled a drink. She quickly said, 'I'm sorry'. How could I be mad? My one year old niece Sarah has learned how to give kisses, what a joy she is! I have two nephews who are both five, they both are alike in many ways, yet have characteristics that set them apart as individuals. Luke, who is five, likes to play Mario Brothers. It is a racing game where you pick who you want; Mario, Luigi, Toad, etc. He usually picks Mario and insists that I pick Luigi, so we can be brothers! Throughout the game, both Mario and Luigi say cute little things, for instance, when Mario wins the race, he states, 'I got it' with an Italian accent. Luke has picked up on that and says these phrases both here and when he's at home {his parents have jokingly thanked me, I know they hold me responsible!}. Trenton, who is also five, is not as apt to play Mario as Luke is. Trenton likes to play outside, go down to the creek in my backyard and investigate, or play water balloons {which is what we just did}. I put a tent up in my backyard so we could 'camp out' {Trenton is spending a few days with me}. This is something both Trenton and Luke enjoy. I try and keep it simple, yet fun when they come to stay with me. Sometimes when I have them both, I just sit back and listen to their conversations...it is priceless!
As I said earlier, Trenton is spending a few days with me. Before bedtime, I told him we have to say our prayers. He insisted on going first, which I said was just fine. He started by thanking God for refrigerators! I could barely keep my composure. He then got down to more 'serious' issues and thanked God for all his aunts. What I really found amazing was he didn't just generalize it, he named off all his aunts! There are some adults who don't even take the time to give details when praying {myself included}.
As I listened to this little guy pray, I pondered how the great Creator of the universe must feel when He hears such sweetness, such innocence in a child's prayer. How His heart must be touched by this tiny voice, He certainly must make a special effort to bend His ear low for such a small one's prayer. Surely His heart must be moved by such innocence. If only we could understand the childlike faith needed, what a difference would be made!

2 comments:

Marie said...

Laurie - I LOVE this! My younger son, Stefan, turned 6 yesterday. The boys have long been the same way when they pray at night, and I've had the same thoughts as you! "Thank you for Baby Natalia, and thank you for beds so we don't have to sleep on rocks, and thank you for noses, and mashed potatoes, and thank you for Legos and Grandma and Grandpa...." etc. I admit to having checked my watch more than once!

I love the picture of your nephew - what a cute baby! I want to kiss his munchy cheeks.

lyn said...

Aren't they just so precious?! What I really find amazing is this - I asked them, as we camped out under the stars, who made those stars. They quickly gave credit where credit is due, 'God'. There was no prompting on my part, they responded innocently, quickly, and accurately! They have not been exposed to the corrupt teaching of evolution by our school system as of yet, they simply spoke truth without hesitation or arguing. God gives us all just enough 'light', that is, until the world clouds it out.
I see so many young people walking around with piercings, pants hanging nearly off their back ends, hats cocked to one side, tattoos, skin-tight tank tops on the girls, gothic looking dress, t-shirts with AC/DC, or some other group unheard of by me...and I wonder, where did their innocence go? Exactly when did their minds become poisoned by this world? When did they stop praying and thanking God for refrigerators?